Dates of employment:
– Starting July 2018 in refit on Cascadia in Victoria, BC, then optionally later aboard Cascadia operating trips on the BC coast.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship nature cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and Alaska.
– SV Maple Leaf (O.N. 116788). 92 foot classic schooner (40 ton).
– MV Swell (O.N. 130882). 82 foot classic passenger vessel (140 ton).
– MV Cascadia 138 foot expedition catamaran (498 ton).
Our Ideal Candidate:
If you thrive in a dynamic working environment, are hardworking, have a good sense of humour, and like meeting new people, you would make a great addition to our dedicated team! We look to hire passionate and enthusiastic individuals with a love for coastal adventure.
– Able to work as part of a well-functioning refit team, and as part of a live-aboard team for extended periods in remote regions of the BC coast.
– Experience working on passenger vessels in a customer service role is not mandatory but is an asset.
Duties & Responsibilities:
In shipyard: This position will assist with a variety of jobs at shipyard, such as painting, varnishing, assisting with carpentry, cleaning, moving and storing goods, creating or updating inventories.
During operations: This position will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of running an expedition tourism vessel including: guest interaction, deck duties, cleaning duties, and vessel tender operations. A background in natural history interpretation is a major asset in this part of the role.
– Working with and assisting the Captain, First Mate, Chef and Naturalist, as required;
– Assisting in ensuring the safe operation of the vessel;
– Assisting in ensuring the environmentally sound operation of the vessel;
– Assisting with any ship maintenance, that may be required;
– Cleaning the exterior of the vessel, its tenders and/or equipment;
– Preparing shore vessels, kayaks and other expedition equipment for use;
– Assisting with steward duties, which include, as follows:
- Interior public areas and/or cabin cleaning;
- Table service;
– Galley assistance as needed, including, as follows:
- Assisting in storing supplies, as required;
- Helping to ensure that all dishes and cooking utensils are washed and put away;
Qualifications for shipyard work (Mandatory):
– Must be able to legally work in Canada. Canadian passport is mandatory.
– Experience with jobs such as painting and varnishing (aboard boats is preferred).
– Physical ability to do manual labour.
– Attention to detail, pleasant demeanour.
Qualifications for trip operations work (Mandatory):
Only those with the following (or the ability to achieve by a specified deadline) need apply.
– MED A2
– Marine & Wilderness 1st Aid and CPR
– Post-secondary education or working towards a degree in natural/environmental sciences or adventure tourism is an asset.
– Preferred candidates will bring other guiding/outdoor leadership certifications and relevant experience.
– Small Vessel Operators Proficiency (SVOP)
– Restricted Operators Card – Marine Commercial (ROC-MC)
– Small Vessel Machinery Operator – Restricted (SVMO-R)
– Relevant work experience on BC coast.
– Interest in green business.
– Superhost and/or Serving It Right
– Competitive wages and, during trip operations, guest tips.
– During trip operations: Meals, accommodations aboard and transportation to and from the vessel.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to ellen[at]MapleLeafAdventures[dot]com. Please add Position: Cascadia Deckhand in the subject line.
Thank you for your interest. Due to the high number of applicants, only the top candidates will be contacted.
- Posted in