Hiring: Maintenance Supervisor
This mid-level, supervisory, full time salaried position, is the ideal choice for someone with a strong background in vessel maintenance, project planning and coordination, contractor negotiation and project tracking and administration.
If you have a strong aptitude for maintenance, are able to clearly understand vessel engineering, and like caring for unique and special ships, then this job may be for you. If you’re ready for responsibility as key member in the growth of an exciting organization, we’d like to talk.
This position will work closely with the ships’ head captains to establish a maintenance routine for the ships, and report directly to the CEO or his designate. The duties include:
- Maintenance project planning & supervision.
- Fleet and company asset ongoing maintenance & support.
- Administration, such as budgeting, tracking, reporting & record-keeping.
In order to fully understand these functions, the successful candidate will also be able to work as crew on several Maple Leaf wilderness cruises each year.
Areas of Responsibility Include:
Maintenance Project Planning & Supervision
The focus of this position will be planning, coordinating and performing routine and one-time maintenance tasks on the ships.
- Plan routine and special maintenance projects.
- Estimate yearly maintenance budgets.
- Liaise with captains and management to create the winter maintenance plan for approval and execution.
- Liaise with hiring manager to resource crew for winter work.
- Set up winter maintenance projects, plan and book shipyard.
- Supervise, perform and support maintenance projects.
- Supervise (with ship captains) the maintenance team to keep on task and on budget.
- Be on site to assist with and supervise vessels in shipyard.
- Work on maintenance projects.
- Project status reports on work and budget.
- Book and supervise third party contractors.
- Order supplies and equipment.
- Keep a clean and safe worksite.
- Train junior employees on maintenance tasks.
- Establish a comprehensive Planned Maintenance System for the ships.
- Develop annual calendar for this role.
- Establish long term maintenance goals and budget in keeping with company objectives and financial plan.
During the season this position will provide logistical support for the ships as well as coordinate and perform maintenance of the company assets.
- Coordinate, administer, and supervise ongoing maintenance of company assets, including;
- 3 small ships, Maple Leaf, Swell, and Cascadia;
- 7 ships tenders and associated small engines and equipment;
- 4 rigid-hull inflatables;
- 1 fast rescue boat;
- 2 aluminum landing craft;
- Company truck;
- Company Cargo Mate trailer (moveable workshop).
- Source, set up, and maintain a company workshop and storage facility.
- Order related supplies and equipment and arrange shipping and receiving of those items to the ships at locations along the BC/Alaska coast.
- Crew on the vessels in the position best suited to the successful candidate, for several weeks each year.
Administration and Office Systems Management
This position will oversee the day-to-day maintenance administration for Maple Leaf Adventures.
- Manage your area of the company budget.
- Keep maintenance tracking records and project worklists up to date.
- Create comprehensive contact lists for contractors and suppliers, as well as keep accounts up to date.
- Provide periodic reports on asset condition and status to management.
- Supervise the creation of equipment procedures documents when needed.
- Perform project coordination functions for complex projects, as assigned.
- Provide research, analysis, reports or other documents within this area of expertise for management, as assigned.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications Required – The right attitude is everything!
Below are the qualifications that the perfect candidate would have; the world is not perfect, so if you believe you are ready for the challenge, and you have the attitude of a great team player, we encourage you to apply and explain how you’ll kick this out of the park and why you have the experience to do that.
- 2+ years professional experience working in Maintenance Supervision, with a mix of operational and administrative functions, including people and/or project management.
- 5 + years of proven experience working hands on with ships and their systems; such as marine diesel mechanics, electrical systems, plumbing, and wooden ships.
- Proven ability to work independently but as part of a close-knit team.
- Previous roles of responsibility; examples of initiative taken to create improvements.
- Proficiency with professional office software including Excel, Word, Acrobat, Google docs.
- Tact and the ability to build good relationships, across geographic and cultural boundaries.
- Good written and verbal communication and good analytical skills.
- Great attention to detail.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
An individual with a “let’s make this happen” attitude will get most out of this position.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, “whatever it takes to get it done” work environment.
- Wilderness recreational or professional guiding experience and asset, but not mandatory.
- Tourism-specific and/or hospitality experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with Transport Canada rules and regulations is a plus.
- Knowledge of the remote BC coast is an asset.
Compensation, Location and Application
- This is a full-time position that pays a competitive salary with benefits package.
- This position is in beautiful Victoria, B.C., capital of B.C.’s vibrant tourism community.
How to Apply & Deadline
- Deadline for applications is 4 p.m. on Sunday, September 16.
- Interviews are planned for week of September 22 – 26 or earlier as qualifying resumes are received.
- The position is planned to be filled as soon as possible.
- Please send resume with cover letter to jobs@MapleLeafAdventures.com. No phone calls please.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a small, privately owned company that has deliberately chosen to have a quadruple bottom line: where environmental, social, and financial values are joined by the fun factor as critical metrics of our company’s success. We are inspired by exploration, creating great experiences, and the rich British Columbia and Alaska coast.
Our multi-day expedition cruises in remote BC and Alaska are internationally rated as some of the top adventure travel experiences in the world. This comes from a spectacular environment, a natural love of hosting guests, a disciplined approach to operations, respect for people of all kinds along the coast, and the vision to create something world-class.
At Maple Leaf Adventures, you will be a key part of a small, dynamic team that is dedicated to these principles. You’ll be proud to work hard, with lots of attention to detail, and participate in the rewards of growing, world-class adventure travel company on our spectacular coast.
A small business requires people to “wear several hats” and sometimes do work on different professional levels. You will find this applies here. Your focus will vary from season to season.
- Posted in