Hiring: Digital Marketing Specialist
We invite you to be part of growing the small business that built a tiny ecotourism company into one of Canada’s most respected expedition cruise operators – rated the Trip of a Lifetime by National Geographic – all while maintaining a triple bottom line.
This junior to intermediate Digital Marketing Specialist position will help us operate and expand our digital presence. It is the ideal choice for someone who loves adventure travel, has a drive to create results and build a legacy, loves storytelling, and appreciates an analytical approach to marketing. As part of a small company, the Digital Marketing Specialist will have the opportunity to be responsible for a range of projects.
We are able to consider only candidates who are in the Victoria, BC, area. Although we have flexible options for working from home during COVID-19, we do need at times to collaborate and train in person and in normal times this position is mainly in our HQ office.
Reporting directly to the Marketing and Sales Manager, your main responsibility will be for developing, designing, activating and monitoring digital marketing programs, and maintaining and analyzing their effectiveness. The programs include organic and paid content marketing on YouTube, Facebook and other social platforms, e-newsletters, conversion programs, and the website/blog.
We plan to expand this part of our marketing effort, therefore this is an opportunity for someone who likes to explore new initiatives and take responsibility for their decisions, while collaborating with their team.
You will ensure the campaigns meet our strategic goals, report on the results and recommend adjustments. You will also coordinate (and/or help create) the content, visuals or other materials needed for the programs, depending on your skills. You will have a wealth of inspiring material to work with: our trips bring wonder to all who experience them, and generate gorgeous and emotionally satisfying visual assets and stories.
As we are a small team of three, with a few outside contractors, you will also have the opportunity to gain experience in other aspects of marketing and sales through pitching in on team projects as need and time permits. As much as possible we will match these to your skills and abilities.
Like each member of the team, you will be a back-up for answering guest inquiries (max. 10% of your time, and usually less), because this keeps you in touch with our guests and what they want to know.
Below are the ideal qualifications and experience. But the right person is better than a piece of paper, so if you don’t have what is listed but you have equivalent experience and the determination to succeed, then apply and tell us how you will knock it out of the park!
Education and Experience
- – Critical thinking, education and communications training equivalent to a university degree.
- – 2+ years’ experience in marketing and sales, with the majority of it in digital marketing.
- – Experience in posting, engaging or monitoring a social media account for a business strategy.
- – Experience using online social media ad managers, including its audience, funnel, and budgeting tools, to achieve specific campaign goals (conversion, awareness, consideration).
- – Experience understanding Google Analytics and other tag and analytic systems, and experience setting up goals, funnels, campaign URLs and drawing conclusions from analytic data.
- – Experience with lead capture software and a CRM database.
- – Training in the fundamentals of marketing and sales.
- – Knowledge of the geography of the BC coast, and adventure travel.
- – Organized.
- – Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- – Excellent writing skills, samples requested.
- – Strong analytical skills for planning, setting up systems, and assessing data.
- – Competence using Excel, Google Analytics, online publishing tools such as WordPress, and a CRM database, and ability to self-teach software skills.
- – Good visual communication skills with photos and, optionally, video. Ability to use photo editing software.
- – Inquiring mind that seeks to understand the complex natural and human systems we operate our ecotourism company within.
- – Creativity, to envision effective programs and make content interesting and informative.
- – Proven use of a triple bottom line in your own life.
This is a regular, full- or almost full-time position position. There may be the odd requirement, when appropriate, for work outside standard business hours (such as special events).
Maple Leaf Adventures is an award-winning company with a long history of operation. We grew out of a tiny, one-room office and are still a “boutique” size, with nine people in our headquarters managing the business and the 20-crew operation.
At Maple Leaf, you will be a key part of this small, dynamic team. We are dedicated to providing exceptional experiences aligned with the values of ecotourism. You will find that our people love what they do, believe in our company’s values, and have fun working together and making a difference in the world.
Competitive salary and benefits package, plus great pro-deals on gear, opportunity to work on board our award-winning expeditions, and company with strong core values.
How to Apply & Deadline
If this sounds like you, and you live in Victoria, we’ve love to talk! Please email a resume with cover letter to hq-jobs [at] MapleLeafAdventures.com with “Marketing Position” in the subject line. We have set a deadline of Mar 25 for applications, but we may start interviewing before that. Thank you, we look forward to meeting you!