We’re hiring! Marketing Communications and Sales
Marketing Communications and Sales Specialist | Job Posting
Learn from the small business team who grew a tiny ecotourism company into one of Canada’s most respected expedition cruise operators rated the Trip of a Lifetime by National Geographic, all while keeping their triple bottom line.
This mid-level position is the ideal choice for someone with a love of soft adventure travel, a drive to create results, skilled at communications, with an analytical approach to marketing.
Maple Leaf Adventures is an award-winning company with a long history of operation. We grew out of a tiny, one-room office and are still a small, entrepreneurial company, with ten people in our headquarters managing the business and the 20-crew operation.
At Maple Leaf, you will be a key part of this small, dynamic team that is dedicated to providing exceptional experiences aligned with the values of ecotourism. You’ll be proud to work hard and know you’re helping to build a sustainable industry on our spectacular coast, showing the world that it can be done.
A small business requires people to “wear several hats” and bring a high level of attention to detail because the small things are important. You may sometimes do work on different professional levels to keep things interesting and your focus will change from season to season. You will find that our people love what they do, and enjoy working together and having fun together, too.
Summary / Objective
Reporting directly to the Marketing and Sales Manager, you will be responsible for producing our marketing materials (such as brochure, website content, videos), writing copy and storylines, and planning and executing marketing campaigns to generate leads, including social media and newsletter marketing campaigns. You’ll also be responsible for taking some sales, which educates you and keeps you in touch with our guests, and you’ll contribute to the marketing and sales team generally as needed on areas where we collaborate.
You’ll be able to use your knowledge of our coastal nature and cultural history. The marketing and sales team is a small group of 3 people plus contractors, and while we work independently on our deliverables, we collaborate both within the team and within the company on project goals and communications. If you’re a self-starter who likes being part of a great team, you will thrive in this role.
- Lead Generation: Direct responsibility, from planning through to execution and reporting results, for generating qualified sales leads for Maple Leaf Adventures trips through social media marketing, newsletter marketing, special offers, and website conversion work. Shared responsibility for collaborating on other marketing channels.
- Content Creation: Direct responsibility for producing content and materials, adhering to our brand identity, to support our marketing campaigns and sales, from print catalogues to videos. Depending on your skills and experience this could include conceiving, designing, writing, production and video creation; alternatively, some of the production could be outsourced. Often the initial vision for new materials starts with a collaboration with your manager.
- Customer Service and Sales: A max of about 25% of your time is in sales and guest service, which involves answering incoming enquiries, qualifying guests, providing trip information, helping guests select and book their trip, processing their booking and sending them confirmations. Also, may include proposals for custom charters.
- Other Projects: There are a few other projects related to your position that you may be assigned or asked to collaborate on, as needs and time allow. This can vary depending on the person but could involve trip schedule creation, business development, or other areas of marketing. Our team provides third and fourth backups for reception if the first two people are unavailable and we cover a few of these key responsibilities when team members are on vacation.
Below are the ideal qualifications and experience. But the right person is better than a piece of paper, so if you don’t have what is listed but you have equivalent experience and the determination to succeed, then let us know and tell us how you will knock it out of the park!
Education and Experience
- University degree or equivalent critical thinking and communications training.
- 2-3 years’ experience in marketing and sales for entrepreneurial business.
- 2-3 years’ experience sole responsibility for lead generation resulting in sales of over $1 million in the consumer marketplace.
- 1 year experience responsible for online advertising channels with ability to prove your programs returned good ROI.
- 2 years’ experience in social media marketing.
- Knowledge and experience doing basic visual design in InDesign, Photoshop, Video editing using Adobe Creative Cloud or similar professional products. (Not as a graphic artist.)
- Experience writing marketing plans, content plans.
- Knowledge of the geography of the BC coast and of adventure travel.
- Excellent writing skills, samples requested.
- Solid visual design skills.
- Strong analytical skills for planning, setting up systems, and assessing data.
- Competence using Excel, Google Analytics, online publishing tools such as WordPress.
- Ability to form relationships with guests over the phone and in person.
- Creativity, to take content and make it interesting and informative for the public.
- Proven use of a triple bottom line in your own life.
This is a full-time, position, primarily in the Maple Leaf Adventures office. There are requirements, when appropriate, for evening and weekend work beneficial to your job responsibilities (such as special events).
Competitive salary and benefits package, plus great pro-deals on gear, and potential opportunity to work on board for a trip.
How to Apply & Deadline
Please email a resume with cover letter to jobs@MapleLeafAdventures.com, with Marketing & Sales Position in the subject line.
We have set a deadline of Dec 22 for applications, but we may start interviewing before that. Thank you.