Meeting Your Guide at the Start:
Your guide, with a shuttle, will meet you at the Masset Airport at the designated time for your trip.
The first day of your tour is a Land Day, which will include seeing the Masset area, Graham Island, and a visit to the Haida Heritage Centre at Qay’llnagaay (Sea Lion Town). It includes overnight accommodation in a local lodge, meals and travel.
How to Get to the Start & How to Return
Flying to/from Masset
- From Vancouver
- Pacific Coastal Airlines
- Regular daily flights from Vancouver International Airport to Masset.
- Phone: 1-800-589-4740
- From Prince Rupert
- Inland Air Charters
- Phone: 1-888-624-2577
- The flight is 45 minutes with a view of the many small coastal islands off Prince Rupert and of Rose Spit and North Beach on Haida Gwaii.
Flying to/from Sandspit
- From Vancouver
- Air Canada
- Daily flights from Vancouver International Airport to Sandspit on Haida Gwaii.
- Phone: 1-888-247-2262
Note: If your trip starts in Masset and you fly to Sandspit, you will need to either rent a car from the airport (reserve in advance) or hire a driver to take you north to Masset. This is about a two-and-a-half to three-hour drive, and includes a ferry crossing from Sandspit to Skidegate. We do not recommend you do this, unless you especially wish to spend extra time on the islands, outside of the Land Day included in the tour. The Islands are sparsley populated and do not have many services for transporting tourists.
Haida Gwaii (the Queen Charlotte Islands) can be accessed via an eight hour ferry ride to cross 93 nautical miles (from Prince Rupert to the Skidegate Landing Ferry Terminal on Graham Island). Once in Skidegate and on Graham Island, you will need to get yourself up to Masset on the north part of Graham Island, which is about a 2-hour drive.
- B.C. Ferry Corporation
- Phone: 1-888-BCFERRY
Click Schedules then click Inside Passage, Haida Gwaii, and be sure to choose the Haida Gwaii/Queen Charlottes Fall-Winter- Spring schedule. [This was the method of getting to the schedule at the time these instructions were written.]
Note: Due to ferry schedules, you may need to arrive several days before the trip and would need to stay on Haida Gwaii for those days. You must make ferry reservations well in advance. This route requires careful planning in order to make ferry schedules.
Where to Stay
You will have land accommodation for your first day/night on the Maple Leaf trip, however if you wish to arrive in the islands earlier, please feel free to contact us for recommendations.
- We are happy to provide you with the contact information for a travel agent who has assisted many Maple Leaf guests.
- 1.888.599.5323 or
- +1.250.386.7245 for information
Trip / Medical Insurance
- Due to the remoteness of the areas we travel in we highly recommend travel medical insurance that covers possible emergency medical evacuation. Check your regular insurance coverage as it may already include this. If not, you can purchase some from a travel agent.
- We highly recommend trip cancellation insurance. This protects you in case you have to cancel for a variety of reasons (including illness). This must be purchased from a travel agent at the time your booking is nonrefundable.
- If you are entering Canada from another country, you must have a valid passport.
- If the country you are travelling in (e.g., US or Canada or both) require that citizens from your country have other documentation such as a visa in order to enter either country, you are responsible for having it with you. To find out what you need, ask your nearest consulate.
Suggested Reading - Haida Gwaii / Queen Charlotte Islands
|Title||Author, ISBN||Subject Area|
|Title: Stories As Sharp As a Knife: The Classical Haida Myth Tellers and Their World||Author, ISBN: By Robert Bringhurst. ISBN 1-55054-795-X||Subject Area: First Nations, Haida world, Haida myth|
|Title: Raven Steals the Light||Author, ISBN: By Bill Reid and Robert Bringhurst. ISBN 0295975245||Subject Area: First Nations Stories|
|Title: The Black Canoe: Bill Reid and the Spirit of Haida Gwaii||Author, ISBN: By Robert Bringhurst. ISBN 1-55054-403-9||Subject Area: First Nations Art|
These and many other books on the natural and cultural history of the Pacific Coast are on board in our library. Some are available for purchase through our office.