Hiring Mates (MV Cascadia)
MV Cascadia: 138-foot expedition-style catamaran
Seasonal relief and on-call positions: Multiple contracts available between April to November with the opportunity to join our winter maintenance teams.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship nature cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and Alaska.
Our ships are certified passenger vessels, but they are not cruise ships. Each is unique and hand-built with purpose. Maple Leaf is a classic, 92-foot schooner. She accommodates up to 8 guests, and a crew of 5. Swell is a beautiful, classic, converted tugboat. She accommodates up to 12, and a crew of 5. Cascadia is a luxury, expedition style catamaran. She accommodates up to 24, and a crew of 10.
Our Maple Leaf Crew have an immense amount of enthusiasm for environmental sustainability, natural history, fostering the local economy, connections with science and discovery, and sharing the coast’s wonders with our guests. Our ideal candidate is flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of guests and overall operations.
The Mate aboard MV Cascadia is not only the second in command of the vessel but provides support for the entire crew and a leadership presence for guests throughout each expedition. Ideal qualities for our Mates include:
– Supporting the Captain who is leading a crew of very competent mariners, directing, and coordinating maintenance, and liaising with our shore-based operations team to prepare the vessel for safe and amazing guest experiences.
– Being flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of the operations.
– Having strong interpersonal skills to establish respectful relationships with guests.
– Having a personal interest in the nature of the B.C. coast.
The Mate aboard Cascadia will be responsible for assisting the captain to ensure overall vessel preparation and readiness throughout the expedition season. As directed by the Captain, the Mate will also be responsible for the overall operations aboard MV Cascadia during each expedition, which includes:
– Ensuring that the vessel operates in compliance with all national, international, and local regulations (particularly those related to pollution prevention and health, safety, and the environment).
– Ensuring that the vessel maintains all company standing orders and is sailing under company policy.
– Ensuring that the vessel’s safety management system is adhered to.
– Working with the Captain and Engineer to ensure that all deck machinery, fittings, and small boats and maintained in an efficient and timely manner.
– Ensuring that all navigation and deck equipment are in operational order and that an adequate level of supplies and routine parts are available aboard the vessel.
– Maintaining and administering the preventative maintenance schedule for all deck related safety and lifesaving equipment aboard the vessel.
– Ensuring that all charts and publications are maintained up to date.
– Ensuring that deck and radio logs are maintained, and records are kept for ongoing maintenance and repairs as it relates to the deck equipment.
– Training and supervising deck crew in the performance of their duties.
– Standing a navigational watch as required.
– Operating shore vessels for the expedition team, while interacting with guests and assisting them ashore.
– Executing the best itineraries for our guests on each expedition.
– 500 Ton Chief Mate Domestic License.
– Extensive experience on B.C. coast.
– Eligible for Pilotage Waiver as per the Pacific Pilotage Regulations.
– Current Marine Medical and Marine First Aid (CPR)
– STCW Advanced Firefighting
– STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft
– Marine Emergency Duties (MED) A1/A2 or higher.
– ROC – MC
– 500 Ton Domestic Masters License.
– Experience as watchkeeper operating in B.C. coastal waters, especially in the northern parts of the Inside Passage, Haida Gwaii, and northwest Vancouver Island.
– Experience in passenger vessel operations and demonstrates excellent people skills.
– Preferred candidates will have an interest in adventure tourism and the nature and environment of the B.C. coast.
– Wilderness 1st aid
– Expedition leadership experience and any guiding certifications.
Compensation and Benefits:
– Salary compensation commensurate with experience
– Meals, accommodations onboard, transportation to and from the vessel
– Opportunity for career development
– Flexible schedule where the operation can accommodate
– Regular Employees are eligible for health benefits, including a health spending count.
Maple Leaf Adventures:
We are proud to be a leader in regenerative travel and part of British Columbia’s conservation economy. We are the first adventure cruise company (and the first cruise company in the world) to be part of 1% For The Planet.
At Maple Leaf Adventures we have the privilege to visit unique communities and cultures. We are dedicated to creating a team that reflects the spaces in which we live and work. We are committed to fostering a place where all feel included and recognized. Our crew return year after year, as life on board our ships reflects both our shared values and a wide variety of experiences, backgrounds and interests.
Maple Leaf Adventures recognizes the principles of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. All throughout the coast our tours travel through traditional lands of Coastal First Nations, which include the W’SANEC, Songhees, Qwuwtsun’, Sto:lo, Squamish, Sne-Nay-Mux, Se’shalt, Qualicum, Comox, Sliammon, Klahoose, Homalco, Kwakwaka’wakw, Nuu-chah-nulth, Oweekeno, Nuxalk, Heiltsuk, Haisla, Tsimshian, Haida, Nisga’a, and Tlingit First Nations.
How to Apply:
– Please send a Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com including the postion you are applying for and your last name in the Subject line. For example: Captain Smith.
– Must be able to legally work in Canada. Canadian passport is mandatory (due to travel to and from the USA and Canada).
– Due to the high number of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls or drop-ins please