Hiring Shipboard Chefs and Cooks
Seasonal relief and on-call positions: Multiple contracts available between April to November with the opportunity to join our winter maintenance teams.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship nature cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and Alaska.
Our ships are certified passenger vessels, but they are not cruise ships. Each is unique and hand-built with purpose. Maple Leaf is a classic, 92-foot schooner. She accommodates up to 8 guests, and a crew of 5. Swell is a beautiful, classic, converted tugboat. She accommodates up to 12, and a crew of 5. Cascadia is a luxury, expedition style catamaran. She accommodates up to 24, and a crew of 10.
Our Maple Leaf Crew have an immense amount of enthusiasm for environmental sustainability, natural history, fostering the local economy, connections with science and discovery, and sharing the coast’s wonders with our guests. Our ideal candidate is flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of guests and overall operations.
An ideal candidate must be a creative passionate gourmet with love for coastal adventure. If you thrive in a dynamic working environment, hardworking, like meeting new people and can produce inspired, creative, delicious, and healthy meals in a small ship’s galley, you will make a great addition to our dedicated team!
Duties include all aspects of planning, ordering, provisioning, stowing and preparing meals and snacks on board the vessel. This position requires long hours and candidates must be able to go to sea for up to one month at a time with little contact with the outside world.
- Red Seal or equivalent experience
- Food Safe Level One, and Serving it Right
- Excellent preparation, presentation, and plating, with well-rounded culinary skills
- Applied knowledge of baking, butchery, and cooking in a variety of themes and styles focusing on a Pacific Rim contemporary menu.
- Knowledge and preparation of local sustainable seafoods and foraged foods from the natural environment.
- Enjoy creative menu planning as meals are prepared and served both on board and on shore in remote locations.
- Time and inventory management with a maximum amount of flexibility.
- Able to work independently in a small galley while sharing space with others.
- Able to work within a budget and manage with limited resources, provisions, and storage.
- Able to happily accommodate individual guests’ dietary needs and preferences.
- Excellent people skills with a focus on guest service at all times. This position requires significant social interaction with others while working in close quarters with other team members and guests.
- Proven ability to manage stress and handle adversity. Candidates must be able to follow orders and change plans quickly.
- Relevant work experience on the BC Coast
- Degree or post-secondary education in natural/environmental science or adventure tourism, Bear Guiding, Gwaii Haanas Guiding – Guiding/outdoor leadership certifications and relevant experience
- Experience working on boats and/or sailing and/or remote wilderness environments is preferred (BC Coast navigation)
- MED A1/A2, STCW Basic, Adv. Firefighting, Survival Craft
- SVOP, SVMO
- Marine/Wilderness 1st Aid (CPR)
- Knowledge of wine pairing would be an asset.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary compensation commensurate with experience
- Meals, accommodations onboard, transportation to and from the vessel
- Opportunity for career development
- Flexible schedule where the operation can accommodate
- Regular Employees are eligible for health benefits, including a health spending count.
Maple Leaf Adventures:
We are proud to be a leader in regenerative travel and part of British Columbia’s conservation economy. We are the first adventure cruise company (and the first cruise company in the world) to be part of 1% For The Planet.
At Maple Leaf Adventures we have the privilege to visit unique communities and cultures. We are dedicated to creating a team that reflects the spaces in which we live and work. We are committed to fostering a place where all feel included and recognized. Our crew return year after year, as life on board our ships reflects both our shared values and a wide variety of experiences, backgrounds and interests.
Maple Leaf Adventures recognizes the principles of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. All throughout the coast our tours travel through traditional lands of Coastal First Nations, which include the W’SANEC, Songhees, Qwuwtsun’, Sto:lo, Squamish, Sne-Nay-Mux, Se’shalt, Qualicum, Comox, Sliammon, Klahoose, Homalco, Kwakwaka’wakw, Nuu-chah-nulth, Oweekeno, Nuxalk, Heiltsuk, Haisla, Tsimshian, Haida, Nisga’a, and Tlingit First Nations.
How to Apply:
- Please send a Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com including the postion you are applying for and your last name in the Subject line. For example: Captain Smith.
- Must be able to legally work in Canada. Canadian passport is mandatory (due to travel to and from the USA and Canada).
- Due to the high number of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls or drop-ins please