Hiring Shipboard Stewards
Seasonal relief and on-call positions: Multiple contracts available between April to November with the opportunity to join our winter maintenance teams.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship nature cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and Alaska.
Our ships are certified passenger vessels, but they are not cruise ships. Each is unique and hand-built with purpose. Maple Leaf is a classic, 92-foot schooner. She accommodates up to 8 guests, and a crew of 5. Swell is a beautiful, classic, converted tugboat. She accommodates up to 12, and a crew of 5. Cascadia is a luxury, expedition style catamaran. She accommodates up to 24, and a crew of 10.
Our Maple Leaf Crew have an immense amount of enthusiasm for environmental sustainability, natural history, fostering the local economy, connections with science and discovery, and sharing the coast’s wonders with our guests. Our ideal candidate is flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of guests and overall operations.
The Steward will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of running an expedition tourism vessel including guest interactions, duties on deck, housekeeping, cleaning and laundry, and food and beverage services throughout the expedition season. As directed by the Captain, Expedition Leader, and Chef, the Steward will also be responsible for the overall comfort of and services for the guests which includes:
– Housekeeping for guest cabins, including turn down service, head cleaning, while maintaining guest privacy.
– Cleaning for common areas, including galley, salon, wheelhouse, and vessel decks.
– Ensuring laundry is done onboard when needed.
– Maintaining inventory for hotel supplies, ordering replacements according to our budget.
– Galley duties, including dishwashing and stowing of all dishes, eating utensils and cooking utensils, cleaning galley after meals, and shopping, storing and food preparation, as required.
– Potential hosting duties for daily recaps and special events.
– One year experience in a Steward role or role with similar duties, experience from luxury private yachts, boutique hotels, private clubs or high end wilderness resorts (high level of table and hotel service quality).
– Demonstrated superb communication skills to engage guests and form good working relationships with key crew members, especially the Captain, Expedition Leader and Chef.
– Knowledgeable about wine and wine-food pairing
– Serving It Right and Food Safe
– Being flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of guests and overall operations.
– Having strong interpersonal skills to establish respectful relationships with guests.
– The ability to work at sea for extended periods in a variety of weather conditions and sea states.
– Relevant work experience on the BC Coast
– Degree or post-secondary education in natural/environmental science or adventure tourism, Bear Guiding, Gwaii Haanas Guiding
– Guiding/outdoor leadership certifications and relevant experience
– BC Coast navigation
– MED A1/A2, STCW Basic, Adv. Firefighting, Survival Craft
– SVOP, SVMO
Marine/Wilderness 1st Aid (CPR)
Compensation and Benefits:
– Salary compensation commensurate with experience
– Meals, accommodations onboard, transportation to and from the vessel
– Opportunity for career development
– Flexible schedule where the operation can accommodate
– Regular Employees are eligible for health benefits, including a health spending count.
Maple Leaf Adventures:
We are proud to be a leader in regenerative travel and part of British Columbia’s conservation economy. We are the first adventure cruise company (and the first cruise company in the world) to be part of 1% For The Planet.
At Maple Leaf Adventures we have the privilege to visit unique communities and cultures. We are dedicated to creating a team that reflects the spaces in which we live and work. We are committed to fostering a place where all feel included and recognized. Our crew return year after year, as life on board our ships reflects both our shared values and a wide variety of experiences, backgrounds and interests.
Maple Leaf Adventures recognizes the principles of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. All throughout the coast our tours travel through traditional lands of Coastal First Nations, which include the W’SANEC, Songhees, Qwuwtsun’, Sto:lo, Squamish, Sne-Nay-Mux, Se’shalt, Qualicum, Comox, Sliammon, Klahoose, Homalco, Kwakwaka’wakw, Nuu-chah-nulth, Oweekeno, Nuxalk, Heiltsuk, Haisla, Tsimshian, Haida, Nisga’a, and Tlingit First Nations.
How to Apply:
– Please send a Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org including the postion you are applying for and your last name in the Subject line. For example: Captain Smith.
– Must be able to legally work in Canada. Canadian passport is mandatory (due to travel to and from the USA and Canada).
– Due to the high number of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls or drop-ins please