Hiring: Captain for MV Cascadia
Lead expedition cruises that explore the spectacular channels and of the B.C. coast, aboard a beautiful, small (24 passenger) expedition ship.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and Alaska, focused on natural and cultural history.
Our Vessels allow guests to explore the wild spaces of our world in luxury and comfort:
– SV Maple Leaf: 92-foot schooner that accommodates up to 8 guests;
– MV Swell: 88-foot tug converted to a passenger vessel for 12 guests; and
– MV Cascadia: 138-foot expedition-style catamaran that accommodates up to 24 guests.
Description of Work Periods for MLA Operations
– Expedition Season: Typically from April to October (primarily based on two rotating crews)
– Winter Maintenance: Typically from November to March
– Shipyard: Annually between February to March
Our Ideal Candidate
The Captain aboard MV Cascadia is not only in command of the vessel but provides leadership for the entire crew and a leadership presence for guests throughout each expedition. Maple Leaf Adventures is looking for a second Captain to rotate (based on a day for day time on/time off rotation) with our Head Captain aboard MV Cascadia as it sails into the expedition season for 2019 and beyond. In addition to experience as a Watchkeeping Officer or Master on equivalent-sized vessels, with extensive coastal experience specifically in British Columbia (B.C.), the ideal qualities for our Captains include:
– Leading a crew of very competent mariners, directing and coordinating maintenance, and liaising with our shore-based operations team to prepare the vessel for safe and amazing guest experiences;
– Having the ability to work at sea for extended periods in a variety of weather conditions and sea states;
– Being flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of the operations;
– Having strong interpersonal and customer service skills to establish respectful relationships with guests and perform hosting and occasional public speaking; and
– Having a personal interest in the nature of the B.C. coast and the idea of a triple bottom line.
The Captain aboard Cascadia will be responsible for assisting and communicating with our shore-based operations team at Maple Leaf Adventures headquarters in Victoria, B.C. to ensure overall vessel preparation and readiness while onboard throughout the expedition season. The Captain will also be responsible for the overall operations aboard MV Cascadia during each expedition, which includes:
– Ensuring that the ship and crew adheres to all associated Transport Canada regulations to uphold all certifications and the integrity of the safe manning document throughout each expedition;
– Ensuring that the vessel maintains all company standing orders and is sailing under company policy;
– Ensuring that the vessel’s safety management system is adhered to;
– Working with the Engineer and Mate to ensure maintenance and repairs are carried out in an efficient and timely manner;
– Ensuring that all systems are in operational order and that an adequate level of supplies and routine parts are available aboard the vessel;
– Maintaining and administering the preventative maintenance schedule for the vessel;
– Standing watch as required;
– Working with the Expedition Leader to plan and execute the best itineraries for our guests on each expedition; and
– Setting the crew schedule, evaluating crew performance and communicating personnel feedback to Maple Leaf Adventures Management.
– 500 Ton Domestic Masters License;
– Eligible for Pilotage Waiver as per the Pacific Pilotage Regulations;
– Extensive watchkeeping experience on B.C. coast;
– Current Marine Medical and Marine First Aid;
– Demonstrated management experience and strong leadership skills to form good working relationships with key crew members, especially the Expedition Leader; and
– Must be eligible to legally work in Canada.
– Experience as master operating in B.C. coastal waters, especially in the northern parts of the Inside Passage, Haida Gwaii, and northwest Vancouver Island;
– Experience in passenger vessel operations and demonstrates excellent people skills;
– Preferred candidates will have an interest in adventure tourism and the nature and environment of the B.C. coast;
– Wilderness 1st aid an asset; and
– Expedition leadership experience and any guiding certifications may be an asset but are not required.
Compensation and Benefits:
– Competitive daily wage + guest tips;
– Meals and accommodations will be provided while aboard, and transportation to and from the vessel will be provided during the operating season; and
– Pro-deal relationships are available for crew with gear and equipment product lines that support Maple Leaf Adventures.
How to Apply:
– Send resume and cover letter to jobs[at]MapleLeafAdventures[dot]com. Please add Position: MV Cascadia Captain Application to the subject line.
– Due to the high number of applicants, only the top candidates will be contacted.
– No phone calls or drop-ins please.