Hiring: Head Captain (150 Ton) MV Swell
Dates of employment:
- February 01 – March 31, 2018 – Lead winter maintenance work, refit and seasonal ship yard.
- April 01 – October 31, 2018 – Captain role on board vessel. At sea shift work.
Our company: Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected and growing marine ecotourism company that operates small ship nature cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and SE Alaska.
The Vessel: MV Swell (O.N. 130882). 1912 80-foot classic converted tug to luxury passenger vessel.
Our Ideal Candidate: Maple Leaf Adventures is looking for a full-time head captain to lead the charge managing our classic wooden 1912 converted Tug, the MV Swell, as it sails into the 2018 expedition season, through the season, and beyond. Ideal qualities include;
- Experience managing a vessel; leading a crew of very competent mariners, directing and coordinating maintenance, and working with the operations team to prepare the vessel for safe and amazing guests experiences.
- Ability to work at sea for extended periods in a variety of weather conditions and sea states.
- Flexible & organized, with proven ability to anticipate the needs of the operation.
- A background in natural history interpretation, tourism, or guiding is an asset.
The Swell Head Captain will be responsible for assisting and communicating with the operations manager to administer and manage the vessel in the overall preparation and readiness for the season, as well as during the sailing season. This includes the coordination and administration of winter season refit work, yearly service maintenance, ships certifications, and safety equipment (including first aid equipment). The Head Captain will:
- Ensure that the ship adheres to all associated Transport Canada regulations and meets the crewing regulation requirements.
- Ensure that the vessel maintains all company standing orders and is sailing under company policy.
- Be expected to perform maintenance where needed and to best fit his or her skills as directed by the operations manager.
- Ensure that all systems are in operational order and accompany the vessel as required during refit schedules and assists technical personnel in carrying out repairs and alterations; maintain an adequate level of supplies and routine parts.
- Maintains and administers a preventative maintenance schedule for the vessel.
- Stands watch duties while on board.
- Assists with guiding, guest services and hosting of clients during ecotourism operation.
– 150 ton Masters certification, or associated (Chief Mate) certification.
– Transport Canada Small Vessel Machinery Operators (SVMO)-Restricted (or SVMO unrestricted)
– Marine Emergency Duties (MED) A2 or higher.
– ROC-MC or GOC.
– Must be able to legally work in Canada. Canadian passport is mandatory.
– Marine/ Wilderness 1st aid.
– Relevant work experience on BC coast.
– Degree or post-secondary education in natural/environmental sciences or adventure tourism is an asset. Preferred candidates will bring other guiding/outdoor leadership certifications and relevant experience.
– BC Coast Navigation.
– Experience in tourism or eco-tourism.
Compensation and Benefits:
– Salary compensation commensurate with experience.
– Full life, AD&D, and extended health benefits package for employee and family.
– Meals, accommodations aboard, and transportation to and from the vessel provided.
– Crew keeps all tips provided by guests at the end of the trip.
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter to jobs[at]MapleLeafAdventures[dot]com. Please add Position: Swell Head Captain to the subject line.
Due to the high number of applicants, only the top candidates will be contacted. No phone calls or drop-ins please.