Hiring: Mate for MV Cascadia
Be a leader on a spectacular exploration of the B.C. coast, aboard expedition cruises on the coast’s newest little ship.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and Alaska, focused on natural and cultural history.
Our Vessels allow guests to explore the wild spaces of our world in luxury and comfort:
– SV Maple Leaf: 92-foot schooner that accommodates up to 8 guests;
– MV Swell: 88-foot tug converted to a passenger vessel for 12 guests; and
– MV Cascadia: 138-foot expedition-style catamaran that accommodates up to 24 guests.
Description of Work Periods for MLA Operations
– Expedition Season: Typically from April to October (primarily based on two rotating crews)
– Winter Maintenance: Typically from November to March
– Shipyard: Annually between February to March
Our Ideal Candidate
The Mate aboard MV Cascadia is not only the second in command of the vessel but provides support for the entire crew and a leadership presence for guests throughout each expedition. Maple Leaf Adventures is looking for Mates to join our crew (based on a day for day time on/time off rotation) aboard MV Cascadia as it sails into the expedition season for 2019 and beyond. In addition to experience on equivalent-sized vessels, with extensive coastal experience specifically in British Columbia (B.C.), the ideal qualities for our Mates include:
– Supporting the Captain who is leading a crew of very competent mariners, directing and coordinating maintenance, and liaising with our shore-based operations team to prepare the vessel for safe and amazing guest experiences;
– Having the ability to work at sea for extended periods in a variety of weather conditions and sea states;
– Being flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of the operations;
– Having strong interpersonal skills to establish respectful relationships with guests; and
– Having a personal interest in the nature of the B.C. coast.
The Mate aboard Cascadia will be responsible for assisting the Captain to ensure overall vessel preparation and readiness throughout the expedition season. As directed by the Captain, the Mate will also be responsible for the overall operations aboard MV Cascadia during each expedition, which includes:
– Ensuring that the vessel operates in compliance with all national, international and local regulations (particularly those related to pollution prevention and health, safety and the environment);
– Ensuring that the vessel maintains all company standing orders and is sailing under company policy;
– Ensuring that the vessel’s safety management system is adhered to;
– Working with the Captain and Engineer to ensure that all deck machinery, fittings, and small boats and maintained in an efficient and timely manner;
– Ensuring that all navigation and deck equipment are in operational order and that an adequate level of supplies and routine parts are available aboard the vessel;
– Maintaining and administering the preventative maintenance schedule for all deck related, safety and lifesaving equipment aboard the vessel;
– Ensuring that all charts and publications are maintained up to date;
– Ensuring that deck and radio logs are maintained, and records are kept for ongoing maintenance and repairs as it relates to the deck equipment;
– Training and supervising deck crew in the performance of their duties;
– Standing a navigational watch as required;
– Operating shore vessels for the expedition team, while interacting with guests and assisting them ashore; and
– Executing the best itineraries for our guests on each expedition.
– 500 Ton Chief Mate Domestic License;
– Extensive experience on B.C. coast;
– Current Marine Medical and Marine First Aid;
– Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to form good working relationships with key crew members, especially the Captain;
– Organizational and project management/coordination skills;
– Communicates effectively in both one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees;
– Excellent written English language skills, with the ability to prepare documents and reports in a timely manner;
– Ability to write, organize, and share documents on standard office computer platforms;
– Physical ability to perform all duties; and
– Must be eligible to legally work in Canada.
– 500 Ton Domestic Masters License;
– Eligible for Pilotage Waiver as per the Pacific Pilotage Regulations;
– Experience as watchkeeper operating in B.C. coastal waters, especially in the northern parts of the Inside Passage, Haida Gwaii, and northwest Vancouver Island;
– Experience in passenger vessel operations and demonstrates excellent people skills;
– Preferred candidates will have an interest in adventure tourism and the nature and environment of the B.C. coast;
– Wilderness 1st aid an asset; and
– Expedition leadership experience and any guiding certifications may be an asset but are not required.
Compensation and Benefits:
– Competitive daily wage + guest tips;
– Meals and accommodations will be provided while aboard, and transportation to and from the vessel will be provided during the operating season; and
– Pro-deal relationships are available for crew with gear and equipment product lines that support Maple Leaf Adventures.
How to Apply:
– Send resume and cover letter to jobs[at]MapleLeafAdventures[dot]com. Please add Position: MV Cascadia Mate Application to the subject line.
– Due to the high number of applicants, only the top candidates will be contacted.
– No phone calls or drop-ins please.