Hiring: Reservations & Sales Specialist
If you’re an excellent communicator, good at keeping things organized, and like helping your team achieve its goals, this junior-intermediate-level position may be for you.
This role is responsible for helping guests and prospective guests to select their trip, guiding them through booking, helping them with trip planning information, reporting on booking and sales numbers, and producing communications materials for our guests.
In this role, you’ll be the voice of Maple Leaf Adventures, and everyone’s first contact with us. We seek a person who is thoughtful and mature, who likes to go above and beyond in helping people, and who is able to provide reports on sales data and suggest improvements on sales systems.
The right candidate also has a love of nature, culture and travel, with a commitment to incorporating sustainability into their daily life, and enjoys the dynamic environment of an entrepreneurial company.
Sales / Reservations
- Speak with guests and potential guests by phone and correspond with them on email.
- Answer inquiries, send brochures, administer sales for guests.
- Assess guest interests and suitability and help them choose the right trip for their interests, schedule and price.
- Assess what guests need in order to book their trip and help them find it.
- Follow up on holds and requests for information; return phone calls in a timely manner.
- Send confirmations, trip details, and other pre-trip info to guests.
- Collaborate and provide input and ideas to marketing team on special offers, promotions, sales estimates, and other sales activities.
- Share the duty of answering the phones, general inquiries and do in-person reception duties (small amount).
- Train and periodically communicate with travel agents (such as by webinar) about our trips.
Guest Communications and Support
- Answer pre-trip questions and post-trip questions from our guests.
- Solve problems with payments, information, or bookings.
- Research coastal travel information, and create pre-trip information packages for guests (including fact checking and distribution).
- Occasionally help guests problem solving while they are en route to their trip.
- Create email and other templates.
Administration and Planning
- Administer trip payments, cancellations, waiting lists and all communications relating to bookings.
- Maintain tracking systems for travel agents, custom charters, and other processes in your area of responsibility.
- Generate and provide regular reports on bookings, cancellations and trends.
- Provide ideas to improve these systems.
- Provide coverage for other team members where appropriate, such as when they are on leave.
Education and Experience
- Critical thinking and communications training (a university degree is an asset)
- 2 years’ experience in customer service or sales for entrepreneurial business.
- Familiarity with the nature and cultural history of the BC coast.
- 1 year experience organizing logistical details professionally.
- Energetic and friendly presentation in person and by phone.
- Strong written communication skills; good visual communication skills; excellent grammar and spelling (not requiring software to check it).
- Good research and analysis skills for small projects.
- Aptitude for forming relationships with a diversity of people over the phone and in person.
- Ability to use online publishing tools such as WordPress.
- Enjoys variety in tasks within the workday, and an at-times fast-paced environment.
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel with simple formulas, understand and check numerical data such as prices.
- Ability to synthesize information about the coast and our trips and use it to help guests choose a trip.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Problem solving skills/thinking on your feet; answer questions from guests about all aspects of our trips, including occasionally supporting them with information while they are in transit.
- Results Oriented – able to focus on targets, and perform without constant supervision.
- Adaptability – able to switch roles – eg from reception to reservations to writing a document.
- Specialist Knowledge – appreciation for and knowledge of our coast and our trips.
- Caring and Helpful – likes helping our guests.
- Entrepreneurial spirit – likes working in and helping a small business.
- Values Driven – personally committed to incorporating triple bottom line concepts into daily life.
- Focused – can stay on task in a busy office.
How to Apply
Please send resume AND COVER LETTER to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining how you’re the right candidate for this position.
About Maple Leaf Adventures
Maple Leaf Adventures is a small, privately owned company that has deliberately chosen to have a quadruple bottom line: where environmental, social and financial values are joined by the fun factor as critical metrics of our company’s success. We are inspired by exploration, creating great experiences, and the rich British Columbia and Alaska coast.
Our multi-day expedition cruises in remote BC and Alaska are internationally rated as some of the top adventure travel experiences in the world. This comes from a spectacular environment, a natural love of hosting guests, a disciplined approach to operations, respect for people of all kinds along the coast, and the vision to create something world-class. A small business requires people to “wear several hats” and do work on different professional levels.
At Maple Leaf, you will be a key part of a small, dynamic team that is dedicated to these principles. You’ll be proud to work hard, with lots of attention to detail, and participate in the rewards of growing, world-class adventure travel company on our spectacular coast.
At Maple Leaf Adventures, we’re an equal opportunity service provider, and we welcome anyone who can meet these requirements to join our team.