Hiring: Steward for MV Cascadia
Be responsible for creating a warm, hospital environment on boutique expedition cruises along the coast in B.C. and Alaska, while exploring its spectacular nature and cultural history.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and Alaska, focused on natural and cultural history.
Our Vessels allow guests to explore the wild spaces of our world in luxury and comfort:
– SV Maple Leaf: 92-foot schooner that accommodates up to 8 guests;
– MV Swell: 88-foot tug converted to a passenger vessel for 12 guests; and
– MV Cascadia: 138-foot expedition-style catamaran that accommodates up to 24 guests.
Description of Work Periods for MLA Operations
– Expedition Season: Typically from April to October (primarily based on two rotating crews)
– Winter Maintenance: Typically from November to March
– Shipyard: Annually between February to March
Our Ideal Candidate
The Steward aboard MV Cascadia is focused on providing exceptional guest services while onboard, as well as ensuring all hotel supplies are properly ordered, maintained and stowed. One Steward will also be employed in the off season to set and train the hotel service standards on all three ships (according to their needs), and ensure hotel supplies and equipment are properly inventoried, ordered, maintained and stowed.
Onboard duties include housekeeping in guest rooms and common areas, providing cocktail and bartending service, serving meals and clearing tables after guests are finished, supporting our chef and cook in the galley with duties such as dishwashing, and upholding our environmentally sound operations (recycling and waste management). Other duties will include hosting, setting up special events, and ensuring the beautiful presentation of all guest spaces onboard the ship. The Steward will direct an assistant (Deckhand) with some duties and will check their work. Maple Leaf Adventures is looking for Stewards to join our crew (based on a day for day time on/time off rotation) aboard MV Cascadia as it sails into the expedition season for 2019 and beyond. In addition to having a professional and positive demeanour at all times while engaging with guests, the ideal qualities for our Stewards includes:
– Having steward and hospitality experience from luxury private yachts, boutique hotels, private clubs or high end wilderness resorts;
– Having the ability to work at sea for extended periods in a variety of weather conditions and sea states;
– Being flexible and organized with proven ability to anticipate the needs of guests and overall operations;
– Having strong interpersonal skills and a sense of humour to establish respectful relationships with guests; and
– Having a personal interest in the nature of the B.C. coast.
The Steward aboard Cascadia will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of running an expedition tourism vessel including guest interactions, duties on deck, housekeeping, cleaning and laundry, and food and beverage services throughout the expedition season. As directed by the Captain, Expedition Leader, and Chef, the Steward will also be responsible for the overall comfort of and services for the guests aboard MV Cascadia during each expedition, which includes:
– Housekeeping for guest cabins, including turn down service, head cleaning, vacuuming, and cleaning polished surfaced, while maintaining guest privacy;
– Cleaning for common areas, including galley, salon, wheelhouse and vessel decks;
– Ensuring laundry is done onboard when needed;
– Maintaining inventory for hotel supplies, ordering replacements according to our budget, and ensuring that all cleaning supplies aboard the vessel are environmentally friendly;
– Galley duties, including dishwashing and stowing of all dishes, eating utensils and cooking utensils, cleaning galley after meals, and shopping, storing and food preparation, as required;
– Directing and checking the work of assistant; and
– Potential hosting duties for daily recaps and special events.
– Demonstrated superb communication skills to engage guests and form good working relationships with key crew members, especially the Captain, Expedition Leader and Chef, and with an assistant;
– One (1) year experience in a Steward role or role with similar duties (high level of table and hotel service quality);
– Knowledgeable about wine and wine-food pairing;
– Serving It Right and Foodsafe;
– Attention to detail and visual design;
– Must be eligible to legally work in Canada;
– Willing to obtain prior to expedition season:
* Valid Marine Medical;
* MED A1/A2 or equivalent;
* Radio Operator Certificate – Maritime Commercial; and
* Marine First Aid and CPR;
– Experience in passenger vessel operations;
– Preferred candidates will have an interest in adventure tourism and the nature and environment of the B.C. coast;
– Small Vessel Operator Proficiency an asset;
– Wilderness 1st Aid an asset; and
– Expedition leadership experience and any guiding certifications may be an asset but are not required.
Compensation and Benefits:
– Competitive daily wage + guest tips;
– Meals and accommodations will be provided while aboard, and transportation to and from the vessel will be provided during the expedition season; and
– Pro-deal relationships are available for crew with gear and equipment product lines that support Maple Leaf Adventures.
How to Apply:
– Send resume and cover letter to jobs[at]MapleLeafAdventures[dot]com. Please add Position: MV Cascadia Steward Application to the subject line.
– Due to the high number of applicants, only the top candidates will be contacted.
– No phone calls or drop-ins please.