Hiring: SV Maple Leaf Captain (60 Ton)
Dates of employment
Aug 30-Oct 6 – Captain role on board vessel, at sea shift work. Opportunity to start earlier and end later.
In business since 1986, Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected and growing marine ecotourism company that operates small ship nature cruises to world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and SE Alaska.
SV Maple Leaf, a 1904 92-foot classic wooden schooner.
Our Ideal Candidate
Maple Leaf Adventures is looking for a full-time, temporary Captain to lead our luxury adventure expeditions on BC’s central coast this Fall (2021). Ideal qualities include
– Experience managing a vessel; leading a crew of competent mariners, directing and coordinating maintenance, and working with the operations team to prepare the vessel for safe and amazing guests experiences.
– Ability to work at sea for extended periods in a variety of weather conditions and sea states.
– Flexible & organized, with proven ability to anticipate the needs of the operation.
– A background in natural history interpretation, tourism, or guiding is an asset.
– Experience on a sailing vessel, preferably a large traditional rig.
The Maple Leaf Captain will be responsible for operating pre-scheduled guest travel in a variety of locations around BC’s central and southern coast. Assisted by a crew of three to four (inclusive) and hosting up to eight guests, travel is typically in daylight, calm waters, and is performed in a way to offer guests a luxurious, close-to-nature experience with multiple shore excursions each day. While the Captain will maintain defect lists and may participate briefly in end-of-season decommissioning, the employment will terminate at the end of the scheduled guest travel or a subsequent repositioning to home port.
The Maple Leaf Captain will:
– Retain overall responsibility to lead an expedition safely and in accordance with the services scheduled for the guests and applicable Maple Leaf policies.
– Ensure that the ship adheres to all associated Transport Canada regulations and meets the crewing regulation requirements.
– Ensure that the vessel maintains all company standing orders and is sailing under company policy.
– Perform maintenance where needed and to best fit his or her skills as directed by the CEO or head captain.
– Ensure that all systems are in operational order and accompany the vessel as required.
– Maintain and administer a preventative maintenance schedule for the vessel.
– Stand watch duties while on board.
– Assist with guiding, guest services and hosting of clients during ecotourism operation.
– 60 ton Masters certification, or associated (Chief Mate) certification.
– Transport Canada Small Vessel Machinery Operators (SVMO)-Restricted (or SVMO unrestricted)
– Marine Emergency Duties (MED) A2 or higher.
– Basic Marine First Aid with CPR-C or higher
– ROC-MC or GOC.
– Must be able to legally work in Canada.
– Wilderness 1st aid certification.
– Relevant work experience on BC coast.
– Degree or post-secondary education in natural/environmental sciences or adventure tourism is an asset. Preferred candidates will bring other guiding/outdoor leadership certifications and relevant experience.
– BC coast navigation experience.
– Experience in tourism or eco-tourism.
Compensation and Benefits
– Salary compensation commensurate with experience.
– Meals, accommodation aboard, and transportation to and from the vessel provided.
– Crew keeps all tips provided by guests at the end of the trip.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to jobs@MapleLeafAdventures.com. Please add Position: Maple Leaf Captain to the subject line.
Please include a list of all relevant safety, guiding or marine certifications you will hold in good standing through the advertised period of employment, and describe any tourism or expedition leadership experience you find relevant.
Due to the high number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.