Chef position for adventure cruises in BC and Alaska, 2012
Contract position – multiple contracts available
Dates of employment:
Seasonal position(s) – multiple contracts available between March 2012 and November 2012, with potential for multiple contracts throughout the season.
Who We Are:
Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected sail charter company that operates small sail ship nature cruises to multiple world-class wilderness destinations along the British Columbia and Alaska coasts. Your working environment will be aboard the beautiful historic schooner Maple Leaf. As apart of the Maple Leaf team you will work alongside our professional crew and naturalists to deliver outstanding experiences and memories to our interesting and enthusiastic guests. Our trips run between one to two weeks and are based out of a variety of remote coastal communities up and down the coast. We require multiple chefs for our coming 2012 operating season.
Our trips are recommended by Frommer’s Canada travel guide as the “Trip of a Lifetime” and we were recently recognized as one of the world’s best adventure travel companies by National Geographic Adventure.
Who We are Looking For:
Our candidate must be a creative passionate gourmet with a love for coastal adventure. Flexibility, excellent planning and follow-through, and great organization are all necessary attributes. If you thrive in a dynamic working environment, are hard working, like meeting new people and can produce inspired, creative, delicious and healthy meals in a small galley you would make a great addition to our dedicated team!
Duties include all aspects of planning, ordering, provisioning, stowing and preparing meals and snacks on board 92′ schooner for 8 adult guests and 5 crew.
- Well presented, professional, and a team player – Prepared to be the “Captain of the Galley” – Customer service oriented, able to adapt to guest’s specific dietary requirements – Able to create inspired, delicious, healthy meals – Enjoys the flexibility and creativity of menu planning – Has experience with a variety of culinary themes and styles
- Interested in and able to utilize local ingredients – Will work to ensure all seafood served aboard is certified “sustainable” in accordance with the Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise program – Is willing and keen to discuss with guests Maple Leaf’s Ocean Wise certification – Will strive to use sustainable food options when practicable and cost effective. – Knowledge of wine paring an asset
- Able to work within a budget – Excellent verbal communication skills – Very organized, with proven ability to manage stress – Flexible, understands the other aspects of the voyage and can adapt to the needs of the programming – Able to work in a small galley with considerable interaction with our international and
Canadian guests Marine/Adventure
- Has some experience on boats and/or sailing and/or wilderness environments – Can complete a 1-week Marine Emergency Duties course – Able to go to sea for up to two weeks at a time with little contact with the outside world – And has an adventurous spirit!
- “Food Safe”, or equivalent
- Graduate of 1-year culinary program or equivalent, plus relevant work experience
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive rates + Guest tips – All meals and accommodations while on duty – Transportation to and from vessel – Spectacular wildlife viewing – Unique working environment amid the coast’s most beautiful scenery – Work in a positive, fun-loving, professional environment
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter explaining how you meet the above qualifications to jobs@MapleLeafAdventures.com clearly stating “chef job posting’ in the subject line. No phone calls please.
For more information about our trips and our company, visit www.MapleLeafAdventures.com
Location: Gulf Islands, Northern Vancouver Island, Great Bear Rainforest, Haida Gwaii, South East Alaska
Compensation: Competitive rates + Guest tips – This is a contract job. – Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
– Please, no phone calls about this job!
– Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Maple Leaf Adventures
- Posted in