Dates of employment (Seasonal Positions):
April 01 – October 31, 2018 – Multiple contracts available.
Maple Leaf Adventures is a highly respected marine ecotourism company that operates small ship
nature cruises to multiple world-class wilderness destinations along the coasts of British Columbia and
SV Maple Leaf: 92-foot classic wooden schooner.
MV Swell: 83-foot classic passenger vessel.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our candidate must be a creative passionate gourmet with a love for coastal adventure. Flexibility,
excellent planning and follow-through, and great organization are all necessary attributes. If you thrive
in a dynamic working environment, hardworking, like meeting new people and can produce inspired,
creative, delicious and healthy meals in a small ship’s galley, you would make a great addition to our
Duties include all aspects of planning, ordering, provisioning, stowing and preparing meals and snacks
on board a 92′ schooner for 8 adult guests and 5 crew, and /or on board a 88’ converted tug for 12
guests and 5 crew. This position requires long hours and candidates must be able to go to sea for up to
one month at a time with little contact with the outside world.
Qualifications / Position Requirements
• Red Seal or equivalent experience.
• Food Safe Level One.
• Excellent preparation, presentation and plating.
• Well-rounded culinary skills
• Applied knowledge of baking, butchery, and cooking in a variety of themes and styles focusing on a
Pacific Rim contemporary menu.
• Time and inventory management with a maximum amount of flexibility.
• Able to work independently in a small galley while sharing space with others.
• Able to work within a budget and manage with limited resources, provisions and storage.
• Knowledge and preparation of local sustainable seafoods and foraged foods from the natural
• Enjoy creative menu planning; as meals are prepared and served both on board and on shore in
• Able to happily accommodate individual guests’ dietary needs and preferences.
• Excellent people skills with a focus on guest service at all times. This position requires significant
social interaction with others while working in close quarters with other team members and guests
• Proven ability to manage stress and handle adversity. Candidates must be able to follow orders and
change plans quickly.
• Knowledge of wine pairing would be an asset.
• Experience working on boats and/or sailing and/or remote wilderness environments is preferred.
• Must be able to legally work in Canada. Canadian passport is mandatory.
Compensation and Benefits
• Daily wage commensurate with experience.
• Meals, accommodations aboard, and transportation to and from the vessel.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to jobs[at]MapleLeafAdventures[dot]com. Please add Position: Chef in the subject line.
Due to the high number of applicants, only the top candidates will be contacted.
- Posted in